Are you considering visiting the beautiful paradise of Belize? This country is known for its tropical scenery, historic archeological sites, outstanding scuba diving, and more! Before you plan your trip, read through this blog to learn about the seasons, weather, and best events in Belize throughout the year. Then, book your stay with us, Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton™, and experience the vacation of a lifetime.
Once you decide on the best time to visit Belize for you, it’s time to start getting excited about this unbelievable getaway. Download our complimentary Vacation Guide to learn about the best activities, restaurants, and attractions found in the area.
Find the Best Time To Visit Belize for You
It’s always the best time to visit Belize! But if you’re deciding between a few different times of the year, you’re in the right place. This blog provides local insight into the area to determine when you want to travel to Belize.
Weather in Belize
With its warm, tropical climate, Belize is unique when it comes to seasons and weather. The temperature is consistently warm throughout the year, averaging around 84 degrees on the mainland and 88 degrees on Ambergris Caye (the picturesque island that Mahogany Bay Resort is located on). Humidity levels vary, and temperatures often feel higher than what the thermometer reads.
Warm and Dry Season
Due to the consistent temperatures year-round, Belize has two rather than four seasons—the wet and the dry season. The dry season typically begins between November and December and lasts through May. This time has significantly lower rainfall than the rest of the year, and when it does rain, it typically passes within 20 minutes. It lasts just long enough to cool off the air before the sun returns.
June through October marks the wet season in Belize, with October usually having the heaviest rainfall. Some locals refer to July and August as the “little dry” season because there usually isn’t a whole lot of rain. Occasionally during the wet season, we encounter some windy tropical weather. Thanks to our geographical location and our reef, though, most of the waves’ force is mitigated, and we rarely encounter damage from storms. In fact, the windiest month is March, but it’s also the sunniest and is a popular time to enjoy sailing and windsurfing.
Although the dry season tends to be a more popular time to travel to Belize, there are many reasons to visit during the rainy season. Lower attraction and hotel rates, fewer crowds, and cheaper airfare are just a few of the reasons you should see us during the wet season!
One of the best parts about Belize is our comfortable water temperature. It sits around 72 degrees year-round and is the perfect environment for water sports and activities. In fact, most divers don’t wear wet suits in the water here. Whether it’s day or night, you almost never need socks, “real shoes,” or long sleeves here.
Year-Round Fun in Belize
No matter when you decide to get away to Belize, there’s always something fun and exciting going on! Attending a local event is one of the best ways to experience the culture of any place you visit, especially Belize. Immerse yourself in the true spirit of our island when you attend one of our annual festivals. Browse our list of popular events below and start making plans to attend one today!
- Fat Tuesday – If you find yourself at Central Park in San Pedro on Fat Tuesday, you’re in for an unforgettable experience. It’s a tradition that people from all throughout the island participate in paint fights and throw buckets of paint all over each other.
- El Gran Carnaval de San Pedro – This 150-year-old traditional festival originated from Mestizo culture, which brought it down to northern Belize, San Pedro, and Ambergris Caye. It takes place over three days and is filled with painting, music, and comparsas (street dancers).
- Easter Weekend Celebrations and Beach Parties – Belize is traditionally a Catholic country, and Easter is widely celebrated. Many locals have a break from work or school during this time, which means that this is a time to enjoy the sun and sea with beach parties throughout San Pedro and Caye Caulker.
- Lobsterfest – Lobsterfest is one of the most anticipated and delicious festivals celebrated in Belize. Locals and visitors alike travel from near and far come together to feast on these delectable crustaceans. You can celebrate Lobsterfest in San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.
- Dia de San Pedro – This day celebrates the first group of families who fled from the Caste War in Yucatan, Mexico, and made Ambergris Caye their home around 1847. The town has parades, educational workshops on the islanders’ ancestors, church masses, and exciting concerts, but the best part about this event is the carnival! Exciting carnival rides and games fill the area and everyone looks forward to the famous ferris wheel, which provides unbelievable views of San Pedro.
- Costa Maya Fest– This is a week-long celebration that brings musical groups, artists, and beauty queens together from the neighboring countries of Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, and Costa Rica.
- St. George’s Caye Day (September 10th) – This public holiday in Belize commemorates a victory in a key battle against the Spanish in 1798.
- Belize Independence Day (September 21st) – Belize was declared an independent nation on this day in 1862. The country celebrates on this public holiday and shows their patriotism with thrilling parades and parties.
- Garifuna Settlement Day (November 19th) – Garifuna Settlement Day celebrates the arrival of the Garifuna people onto the shores of the country in 1802.
- San Pedro Holiday Lighted Boat Parade – This annual festive celebration kicks off the Christmas celebrations in Belize. Local businesses and charities enter the parade with dazzling decorated boats. You can get a photo with Santa and his elves and enjoy food and drinks at the Block Party afterward.
- Christmas Tree Lightings – This is an annual tradition in Belize City and throughout the country where everyone gathers to celebrate the holiday season and witness the Mayor lighting the magical Christmas tree. We also do a tree lighting here in San Pedro and it’s a magical time for everyone from the island to come together and share holiday cheer.
Book Your Visit To Belize
So, have you decided when you’re going to book a getaway to our magical country of Belize? We’d be thrilled to have you stay with us here at Mahogany Bay Resort any time of the year. When you stay with us, you’ll have unlimited access to superb restaurants, waterfront bars, exhilarating excursions, and a picture-perfect private Beach Club. Plus, all our accommodations are authentic Belizean cottages and villas that will make you feel like you’re in your own slice of paradise.
Check our availability and book your stay with us today. We can’t wait to have you!